Saturday, October 14, 2017

[Toy Unboxing] Nendoroid: Horikawa Kunihiro + Izuminokami Kanesada

As promised, I am back with an unboxing video for the Nendorids I picked up during Cosplay Mania 2017.  I was not really a collector until the re-issue of the Mikazuki Munechika nendoroid but since then, I have been growing my sword boy family. This time, I will show you an unboxing of the not-so-recently released nendoroids of Horikawa Kunihiro and Izuminokami Kanesada, both from Touken Ranbu.

For those of you who are not familiar, Nendoroids are manufactured by Good Smile Company (hereby referred to as GSC).  They are palm-sized figures with a chibi design that comes with a number of parts including face plates, arms and legs for the owner to be able to make the figures show different poses and expressions. Nendoroids also come with some props for the figures to hold or pose with.

GSC really did a number on me with this double release, though.  I preorder all my nendoroids so that I can save up for them when the time of their release comes, and also for the cheaper pre-order prices.  However, there is just nothing I could do when they do a double-release like this.  It's like paying for a new non-preorder Nendoroid altogether.

Enough of my financial rants, and let's get on to the unboxing itself!

First is Horikawa Kunihiro, since I wanted him waiting patiently for his partner when I get to unboxing Kane-san.  Also, I figured that he will be easier than Kane-san (did you just say palm-sized, GSC?!).

Normally, Touken Ranbu Nendoroids come with three face plates: a normal face for his idle pose in the citadel, the serious face for the battle pose, and a random expression for the-sort of internal affairs pose.

Kunihiro was just adorable with his smiling face plate.

Eagerly awaiting for his Kane-san
Then, his citadel pose.


Overall, I did not experience any difficulties with this Nendoroid.  Some batches come with difficult to remove hair or face plates, stands that just wouldn't stay put, or limbs that may come loose, but with Kunihiro, I did not experience any of that.  It was a bit difficult for me to figure out which hands or arm parts to use for a pose, but that was just an error on my part. 

Next, is his partner, Izuminokami Kanesada!

KANE-SAN

Kakkoii sword
Unlike Kunihiro, Kanesan was a pain in the ass just like the in-game sword.  First difficulty I experienced was opening his packaging itself.  The parts holding the pieces of the packaging together was so stuck together, that I knocked my camera off while filming the video.  Next is his hair piece and face plate which was also difficult to remove.  I had to wiggle it a couple of times for it to be detached, and then there was the hair piece, which was also attached to his ponytail at the back of his head.  It was also pretty difficult to stick the sheath of his sword to his side as the haori was getting in the way, and the handle keeps falling off.  Lastly, sticking him to his stand was difficult.  What you had to do is to remove his head, stick the holder through the haori and body, fail a couple of times, then stick his head back into place.  Here and there, you'd get a falling scabbard or limb and you'd just have to cuss a couple of times before you can get him to do even just one pose for you.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not blaming the shop where I purchased this or GSC for the difficulties that I encountered with this Nendo.  The times I spent doing factory work has taught me that even if products are the same, there would be slight differences per batch.  Maybe I just got a bad batch,  but it's still a first release nonetheless so I am not really complaining.  I just wish I'd get more luck with the other Nendos I have lined up for this year.

Before I forget, Kunihiro came with the 二刀開眼 (nitou kaigan, literally meaning two-sword enlightenment) from the game. This is the game mechanism from Touken Ranbu where when a team contains at at least an Uchigatana and a Wakizashi, this could be triggered. Basically, it's a double attack where the Wakizashi wipes out an enemy sword's troops,then the Uchigatana goes in for the kill.  Izuminokami is an Uchigatana, while Kunihiro is a Wakizashi. They are partner swords both previously owned by Hijikata Toshizo of the Shinsengumi, so posing them for Nitou Kaigan is very fitting indeed.

I don't have the patience to have them do the battle poses, so this will do.
Obligatory aibou pic.






See the full unboxing over in my YouTube channel.  I also posted an unboxing of Sayo Samonji and Ookurikara nendoroids.  I also do some playthroughs of otome games when I have the patience to deal with damsels in distress.

Unboxing video:





No comments:

Post a Comment

[Toy Unboxing] Touken Ranbu Nendoroid: Juzumaru Tsunetsugu

Wow, will you look at that!  I'm still alive and collecting nendoroids of my sword boys! Before I move on to the review, I would like ...